Ok, so it was less “crashing” and more just doing something that’s been on my improvement wish list for years. And there were no cameras or hot HGTV hosts around.
This weekend my big accomplishment was installing….
First of all, let me explain something about my bathroom– it is smaller and doesn’t have excellent storage options. Until this weekend, the only storage available was under the dual sinks.
I hate storing toiletries, medicine and stuff under the sink. Ew. Just– ew. And there really isn’t any extra available space for stand alone cabinetry. Very frustrating.
This has been bothering me since I moved in, and the solution was clear: add medicine cabinets. But there were several hurdles to overcome first.
My bathroom is fairly modern so choosing the right cabinet (and size) was imperative. Also, if have to figure out how to remove the existing mirror setup. And the light fixtures that were sticking through those mirrors. And then there would be the process of installing the new cabinets.
For a non-confident DIYer, this was fairly daunting.
But then Room & Board sent out their 12 lbs of catalogs. And the bath catalog had what I was looking for. And then when I checked online a few weeks ago, my cabinets were marked down. And then there was the additional 20% off sale….
So I bought two, which served to get me off my ass.
They arrived last Thursday, so it was time. I started on Friday with disconnecting the light fixtures (went surprisingly well) and then the removal of the big existing mirrors (also went well as they were suspended out from the wall on metal dowels).
I had to then run to Homo Depot to get some drywall spackle, paint rollers, and some new, mounting fixture plates for the electrical boxes.
I repaired the drywall on Friday night so that it would be ready for sand and paint on Saturday.
I woke up bright and early on Saturday morning, as the nerves were kicking in. I was worried about getting the light fixtures correctly reinstalled and most of all I was worried about hanging the cabinets.
But first: sanding, cleaning, and painting.
And then getting the old light fixtures reinstalled and functional.
Yay! They worked and all the wires tucked back in with no issue.
Then came the hard part– positioning, leveling, drilling the drywall anchors, and then hanging the cabinets.
I cut out a cardboard “template” from one of the shipping boxes and put two holes in it which corresponded to the mounting screw locations. I also marked a center line. Then I measured to find out where the cabinet should go, held the template in place, leveled it, and marked the holes.
Then I doublechecked the hole marks for levelness and spacing, held my breath, and started installing the drywall anchors. This was nerve wracking as the last time I tried this I hit something hidden behind the wall and ended up making a big fucking mess.
This nearly happened again, as one of the anchors was having trouble– but I got out my cordless drill and solved it. (Phew!)
And then voila!
Let me just say for the record that hanging those cabinets was a BITCH by myself. It was awkward standing on a stool and the sink and trying to balance and lift the fuckers into place and then find the mounting screws. I very nearly dropped the right one– and it took 5 tries before getting it in place.
But it’s done. And here is what my bathroom looks like now:
It certainly isn’t perfect, and there were a few issues, but I did it. Me. By myself. And I feel accomplished.
Now if they only stay on the walls….
P.S. I have both cabinets filled, but in a pretty way. And I managed to totally clean out my below sink storage so that it is only towels, TP, cleaning supplies, and random storage.