The movie Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was on some cable station the other day, and I found myself sucked into watching it. And the thing is– I kinda like it!
Oh, it’s not a “great” movie. Hell, it might not even be a “good” movie. But there are definite things I like about it. And it whisks me back to my childhood whenever I see it.
Things I remember vividly from when I was a kid include:
1) the Rube Goldberg breakfast machine was cool as fuck (still is)
2) the movie seems inordinately long (still does– it has a fucking intermission!!)
3) Truly’s voice puts everyone else’s to shame (awesome soprano)
4) Dick Van Dyke needs to turn the gas down a bit on that flame. Ahem.
5) living in a windmill seems cool but the threat of imminent death every time you walked out your front door would be a bit much
6) Vulgaria looks a lot like Germany but with Cinderella’s castle.
7) the Child Catcher is creepy as fuck (although now I sympathize with him)
The movie still definitely needs to lose a few songs and have like 30 minutes trimmed from it. The car is gorgeous and Baron Bomburst and wife are still a choochy-woochy pair. The movie as a whole is still cute and romantic.
And the child catcher is fucking awesome!
He has hot to be one of my top movie villains of all time. I remember being terrified of him as a child. And the sweet wagon cum prison cell.
But where I hated the Child Catcher as a kid, I positively adore him now. Because he pulls off the creepy thing so well!
Did you know that to make his face extra creepy, he took out his false teeth. It made his face even more pinched and made his speech more sibilant.
And now that I’m a child hating adult, I find myself longing for a real Vulgaria, where children are forced to live in caves and eat rats.